5 reasons why Badminton is awesome!
25 November 2015 • By - Alicia Clarke
As December dawns and the weather gets colder, wetter and windier, you may be looking for a good sport to play indoor in London. If so, then we have one word for you: badminton.
Here are our 5 reasons why you should play badminton in London this winter.
1. It’s warm.
There are hundreds of indoor badminton courts in London which means that you can easily keep active with your friends without having to brave the cold.
2. It’s great cardio…
You can burn 450 calories during a game of badminton. This is the equivalent of about an hour on a treadmill. However, in contrast to the latter, badminton is dynamic and engaging so you won’t be counting every minute until its over.
3….and amazing for muscle-toning too!
By playing badminton, you work all the main muscle groups. It tones the legs, calves and quads as well as the core, back and arms. After a short while, you really will notice a physical difference from a game of badminton or two a week.
4. It’s sociable.
In order to play badminton, you need an opponent. Or, if you’re playing a doubles game, two opponents. Socialising with others in a non-work environment is core to our mental health and the release of feel-good endorphins. Thus, you’ll find yourself more relaxed and positive after a game of badminton.
5. You don’t need fancy/expensive kit.
Lots of badminton courts in London offer rackets and shuttlecocks to hire. Aside from this, all you need is a good, sensible pair of trainers or running shoes and any comfortable clothing and you’re good to go. No expensive trip to the sports-shop required.
Inspired yet? Here are just a few recommendations of places you can play indoor badminton in London.
1. Haverstock School is a great badminton court in north London. Close to Chalk Farm tube station, available from 6pm on weekdays and 8am-8pm on weekends.
2. If you’re looking for somewhere to play badminton in east London, UEL Sports Dock is a fantastic venue. Located in Newham, its easily accessible via the DLR. Courts are available to book between 8am and 10pm on weekdays and 9.30-7.30pm on Sundays.
3. For badminton courts in South London, Jags Sport Club near North Dulwich is just one of few fantastic places to have an indoor game this winter. Available between 8am and 10pm on weekdays, 10-6pm on Saturdays and 7-10pm on Sundays.
4. And, finally, Harrow Leisure Centre is an ace badminton court in west London. This is a short walk from Harrow and Wealdstone Overground station and is available to book between 6am and 11pm on weekdays and 7am to 7.30pm on weekends.
….AND, if none of these venues take your fancy then head over to Playfinder.com where you can enter your postcode to discover, book and play at your local badminton court.